Friday, January 2, 2015

A Little Reflection

We decided to answer our reflection questions again, like last year! 
What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Erick:
I think we’ve all gotten closer as a family. 
Heather:
We’ve gotten so much debt paid off and put our house on the market!

What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Erick:
Overcoming panic attacks.
Heather:
Parenting a four year old boy!

What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Erick:
Finding running again.
Heather: I am loving Erick’s happiness and really wanting to be healthy. It is also super nice to not have five million bills to pay!

What was an unexpected obstacle or not so great thing?
Erick:
Panic attacks
Heather
: Issues with my family…sicknesses, sadness…I’d love to heal everyone and make everyone happy. But I just can’t.
Pick three words to describe this past year.
Erick:
Patience, strength, love
Heather:
Loving, busy, beautiful

Three words to describe your spouse's year.
Erick:
I would describe Heather's year as...frustration, relaxation, and fulfillment.
Heather:
I would describe Erick's year as...full of patience, growth and positivity.

What were the best books you read this year?
Erick:
Finding Ultra, Running on Empty
Heather:
This is Where I Leave You, Big Little Lies

With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Erick: Heather, God and the kids.
Heather: Erick, the kids and my mom.

What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Erick: Not relying on booze.   
Heather: I don’t think I had a personal change. Answering these questions has made me realize that I don’t focus on myself and my changes. I focus on making sure all my people are happy and doing well with their lives. I need something that’s “mine”. I need to work out or have some sort of an outlet.   

In what way did you grow emotionally?
Erick: Probably just learning to deal with my emotions. 
Heather: I think I’ve grown more patient in some ways. But in another, I’ve decided to not be so patient and deal with things I don’t think I should have to worry about. Don’t sweat the small stuff, right? Not my circus, not my monkeys. J

In what way did you grow spiritually?
Erick: Learning to reply on God more and truly seek his guidance on a daily basis.
Heather: Talking more with God and trying to get my family to do the same. I need to do better with this, as it kind of goes in waves.  

In what way did you grow physically?
Erick: I started to get in better shape by running again. I’m eating better and taking better care of myself. 
Heather: I lost weight and I’m currently gaining it back over this winter break!

In what way did you grow in your relationships with others?
Erick: Being more honest and opening myself up more. 
Heather: I think Erick and I are always growing stronger. I’ve tried to be a good friend to others, but I’d still like to spend more time with girlfriends. 

What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Erick: For work…making a difference in struggling restaurants. At home…trying to be a better example to my children. 
Heather: I love my job this school year and it’s such a fabulous change from teaching first grade all day long. Teaching small groups of reading is very fun, rewarding, and frustrating. J At home, the most enjoyable part is just to be with my family, getting closer, making traditions and having lots of fun!

What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Erick: It’s all the same…traveling and being away from home. 
Heather: The challenging part of work is teaching the lower readers, some of which already hate to read in elementary school. I want to help them love reading! At home, the challenge is having patience with Ava who doesn’t want to know my way of doing things…just wants to do it her way. Can you imagine?! :) And having patience with Brecken who is the sweetest little man and then a little devil that can’t be controlled. The last challenge is being a single mom when Erick travels and getting back into the swing of things when he gets back in town. 

What was your single biggest time waster in your life this year? 
Erick: Thinking too much…overthinking things. And laundry.
Heather: Just doing other things rather than what needs to be done.  

What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Erick: Spending time with the family.
Heather: Duh. Being with my family. Love the cuddles!

What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
Erick: To trust in God more. 
Heather: Patience…still working on it though.

Create a phrase or statement that describes this past year for you.
Keep moving forward. Things will always get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment