Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Our New Year's Eve Reflection

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Erick: Making progress on selling the house and actually pulling the trigger to do some stuff.
Heather: Paid more attention to our finances.

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Erick: Figuring out health issues.
Heather: Ditto

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Erick: Paying off back HOA dues and going to the Shocker game the other night. The kids really got into it and it was really fun.
Heather: Feel like there were little downs through the year (financially or other) and they got me down. Then, it seemed like someone was looking out for us and all of a sudden something good happened. Good things happening are always nice. :)

4. What was an unexpected obstacle or not so great thing?
Erick: Uncle Bob and Uncle Dave passing away.
Heather: All of the issues with my grandparents' health and my stepdad's health. Some not so unexpected, I guess, but still not great.

5. Pick three words to describe this past year.
Erick: Growth, progressive, joy
Heather: Busy, strong, fast

6. Three words to describe your spouse's year.
Erick: I would describe Heather's year as...challenging, blossoming, and maturing
Heather: I would describe Erick's year as...full of challenges, growth and initiative

7. What were the best books you read this year?
Erick: Wolf of Wallstreet, The Forgotten
Heather: Wife 22, The Kitchen House

8. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Erick: Heather, Ava and Brecken
Heather: Erick, Ava and Brecken

9. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Erick: Learning how to mix family life and professional life with my job. It's tough for me because when I'm on a trip, I'm the one in charge and then I come back home and have to work myself back into the family unit.
Heather: I don't feel like I've had a big change. Is that sad? I know changes I would like to make, though!

10. In what way did you grow emotionally?
Erick: Rediscovering emotions that I haven't dealt with.
Heather: I feel like I have gotten stronger emotionally. With Erick's job, I have to be on top of things and sort of like a single mom on occasion. It's made me more independent. Sometimes that's been good, and sometimes not so much.

11. In what way did you grow spiritually?
Erick: Relying on God more and waiting for His plan.
Heather: I feel like I grew spiritually while on our Marriage Retreat last February but did not continue that journey as much as I would have liked.

12. In what way did you grow physically?
Erick: I had an eye opener and am taking better care of myself.
Heather: Nope. Got nothin' for this one. I suck.

13. In what way did you grow in your relationships with others?
Erick: I haven't done this. I would like to rekindle relationships with old friends.
Heather: I feel like Erick and I keep getting stronger and continue to communicate more and act as a team. As people in my family get older, I feel like I am becoming more of a person that needs to take care of them instead of the other way around. I'd also like to have stronger relationships with a couple of girlfriends.

14. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Erick: Surprise, AZ was enjoyable for me because it was the second biggest opening and I was on fire! At home, going to Holiday Island, having dance parties, just having time.
Heather: Professionally, I enjoy seeing the kids in my class grow, change and learn. It's kind of the same for home. I love being with my family and love doing things for and with them. I think it's awesome to see the kids learn so much and have so many great ideas. I absolutely loved our summer this past year. It was the best yet since having kids! It seems like we got to spend so much time together as a family and that's my favorite thing in the world.

15. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Erick: Figuring out the traveling schedule and making sure my wife trusts me.
Heather: Being a single mom when Erick is out of town and working on not being such a control freak at home. At work, it's just keeping my patience and love for teaching while still doing everything else I need/want to do in my home life.

16. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this year?
Erick: Drinking
Heather: PINTEREST! Holy hell, it just sucks me in!

17. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Erick: Spending it with the family.
Heather: Any time spent with my family was very well spent. Time spent budgeting with Erick was also really good...even though I hate it.

18. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
Erick: I've learned how to take care of things in a timely manner.
Heather: That I can do a lot more than I think I can.

19. Create a phrase or statement that describes this past year for you.
Progress!

Questions from theartofsimple.net

No comments:

Post a Comment